• Credentialing of Medical Staff

    How do I credential current or former HMS faculty?

    If you are requesting information on a current or former Harvard Medical School or Harvard School of Dental Medicine faculty member for credentialing purposes please send your request in writing via email to ACADappt@hms.harvard.edu.

    Be sure to include the name of the person you are seeking information on in the subject line.

    • Ex: Subject: Robert A. Burns credential request

    We are only able to provide verification of the academic title. This office has no information concerning qualifications, competence, or completion of training programs. For this information please contact the hospital’s credentialing department directly.

  • Digital Library Access

    The mission of The Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine is to foster the advancement of education, research, scholarship and professional practice in medicine, biological sciences, public health and dentistry. The Digital Library is an important tool towards fulfilling the mission.

    Who gets access to the Digital Library?

    All active Harvard faculty (including emeritus), staff, and students have access to Harvard's digital resources. A Harvard ID and PIN password or an eCommons username and password are required.

    What if I am a research assistant for a Harvard faculty member, but not a Harvard employee myself?

    Research assistants for a faculty member from the Harvard Medical School, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Harvard School of Public Health, or BML member may apply for borrowing privileges by completing the Special Borrower Card Application form. This form requires completion by both the faculty member and research assistant. Research assistants to HMS, HSDM, and HSPH faculty are then eligible for remote access to electronic resources.

    What about Alumni/ae?

    Alumni/ae are not eligible for remote access to electronic resources but can apply for borrowing privileges by completing the Special Borrower Card Application form.

    What about access to the Countway Library in general?

    Click Access and Privileges at Countway Library link for more information. In particular, look at the affiliation group list to see what group you might belong to and what access is available.

  • Employment Verifications ( Mortgage, Housing, Travel)

    Requests for verification of title and dates of employment for Harvard staff are administered by The Work Number® which is an automated service that protects your personal information during the verification process.

    Need Proof of Employment?

    Give the person needing proof of your employment the following information:

    • Your Social Security Number
    • Harvard University Employer Code: 14392 

    The Work Number access options for verifiers: www.theworknumber.com or 1-800-367-5690

    Need Proof of Income?

    Harvard does not currently provide income verification through The Work Number. Income verifications are completed by Harvard Payroll.

    Verifiers should fax your income verification request to Harvard Payroll at 617-496-3196.

    Income verification requests must include a release from the employee.For any questions related to income verification, contact Harvard Payroll at 617-495-8500 and choose option 4.

    Need to View your Personal Data?

    As an associate, you can access your employment data report via The Work Number to view your personal data provided to TALX and to see who has accessed your information:

    The Work Number access options for employees: www.theworknumber.com or 1-800-367-2884

    • Select “I’m an Employee”
    • Select “Enter Site”
    • Enter the Employer Code (14392) and select “Log In”
    • Select “I want to get my Employment Data Report”
    • Enter your User ID (your SSN) and select “Continue”
    • Enter your PIN (the last 4 digits of your SSN followed by your 4 digit birth year) and select “Log in”
    • Select “Employment Data Report”
  • HarvardKey

    What is HarvardKey?

    HarvardKey is Harvard University’s unified login credential — a single login name and password pair that’s used to provide convenient, secure access to nearly 2,000 websites, applications, and services that are affiliated with the University.

    Why do I need a HarvardKey?

    In order to access many Harvard systems, such as PeopleSoft, HARVie, and the HOLLIS library catalog, you’ll need to use your HarvardKey to be identified (securely) and sign on.

    How do I get my HarvardKey?

    If you are a new or existing HMS community member and haven’t yet claimed your HarvardKey, you can do so quickly and easily at key.harvard.edu by providing your last name, date of birth, and eight-digit Harvard University ID (HUID) number. If you are new to Harvard and haven’t yet received your HUID number, your email address may not yet be in the Harvard University PeopleSoft system. Send requests to add or update your email information into human_resources@hms.harvard.edu.

    What if I have problems claiming my HarvardKey?

    Claiming your HarvardKey is simple and only takes a few minutes. However, if you need help with the claim process, please contact the HUIT support desk at ithelp@harvard.edu or 617.495.7777.

  • Harvard ID Cards

    Who can get a Harvard ID Card?

    Active faculty (both on Quad and in the affiliated hospitals), staff, post docs, and students are eligible to get a Harvard ID card.

    I am appointed through one of the affiliated hospitals – when and how do get my Harvard ID card?

    There are 2 steps:

    1. Verify first that your appointment has been entered into the Harvard HR system by checking that you appear in the HMS Whitepages.
    2. If you do appear, then you may go to one of the Harvard ID Offices to have your picture taken and receive your Harvard ID Card.

    Campus Service Center

    807 Holyoke Center
    1350 Massachusetts Ave.
    Cambridge , MA 02138 - 3846

    (617) 496-7827 (Phone)
    (617) 496-8278 (Fax)
    Mon - Fri: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
    Sat - Sun: Closed

    Harvard Longwood ID Office

    Kresge Building ( School of Public Health)
    677 Huntington Ave. Ste 119
    Boston, MA 02115

    (617) 432-0389 (Phone)
    (617) 432-7088 (Fax)
    Mon - Fri: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
    Sat - Sun: Closed

    What if I cannot find my name in the White Pages?

    This means that either your appointment request has not yet been entered into the Harvard system, or your appointment has lapsed. In both cases, please contact your department administrator so she or he can follow up with us on any missing paperwork.

    I lost my ID card – how do I get a replacement?

    Go to the ID Office and report your card as lost. There is a charge of $25.00 for a lost photo ID card. Click here for more information on lost or stolen ID cards.

    Visit the Harvard Campus Services website for more ID card information.

  • PeopleSoft Self Service - Update your Information

    How do I log onto PeopleSoft?

    To access PeopleSoft, you'll need a HarvardKey to log into the system. If you have not yet claimed your HarvardKey, visit key.harvard.edu .

    What can I do via PeopleSoft Self Service?

    There is a Quick Links - Self Service menu on the PeopleSoft home page organized into the areas of Personal Information, Benefits and Payroll, Time and Absence, and Performance Management. You can review and update everything from your address to direct deposit.

    Detailed instructions for all the self service options are located on Eureka, under Job Aids, then Self Service.

    Quick Hints:

    • To change your information click on the pencil or the Edit button
    • The trash can allows you to delete or click the Delete button